3.5 lb. Jersey pattern single bit axe with phantom bevels and a 36″ curved handle. This shape features lugs or ears that increase the surface contact area with the handle. A full-sized felling axe for general axe chores. Phantom bevels or hallows are designed to reduce sticking and burst wood chips.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Natural steel finish on head and cutting edge coated in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 36″ curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2″ of the overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
Customer comments about the 35JC36C:
I purchased a 3.5 pound Jersey Classic with a 36″ curved handle. I have used this tool for felling, limbing and bucking of trees, and I have to admit, this axe cuts as good as my vintage axes. It cuts very deep and throws very large chips, thanks in part to the bevels. I have sharpened it to a razor edge, and even after several hours of work, it is still nearly shaving sharp. The handle is absolutely beautiful and is superbly comfortable in the hand. It has taken on a beautiful worn shine from all of its use. This axe has proven to be beautiful and reliable, providing my family with firewood, and providing me with pride of ownership. Thanks for producing a vintage quality tool at a fair price.
I ordered a 3.5 pound Jersey pattern with a curved handle. I received it in 5 days. I spent an hour sharpening and tested the axe the next day. It is the best axe I have ever used. It has great balance and holds its edge. Today I ordered 3 more for my closest friends. Your a great American story!
“I’ve filed the bit, and chopped a 24″ Cottonwood tree down with it. It is a bit heavy for me, and a bit too long, but it is the most accurate ax I’ve ever used. I attribute that to the excellent head design/balance and the straight helve. ”
“I would just like to let you know how much I appreciate your service and your product. I have been looking for a long time for a properly balanced axe and to be honest everything I found was junk. As soon as I picked up your axe I knew my search was over.”